Humana and Epic today announced an agreement to integrate Humana’s IntelligentRX real-time benefits tool directly into Epic’s e-prescribing workflow. Humana is the first national insurer to collaborate with Epic to bring together patients, providers and payers to power value-based care. The resulting integration will deliver real-time pharmacy data and access to patients’ medical history, which, in turn will enable cost reduction, improved quality, and increased patient satisfaction.
Epic/Humana Integration Benefits
Integrating these technologies will improve the timeliness and accuracy of Humana-generated knowledge, ease administrative burden and help providers make the best decisions for patients at the point-of-care through the delivery of timely, meaningful member insights. The model should:
· Increase the breadth, quality, and timeliness of data exchange to better track quality measures and improve the breadth of member insights;
· Reduce cost and improve the extent of specialty care by surfacing quality and cost information to providers as they make referral decisions at the point-of-care;
· Improve medication adherence by presenting medication alternatives with cost information to providers while they prescribe;
· Improve provider access to claims to support monitoring of value‐based arrangement performance; and
· Reduce burden on providers and improve timeliness for prior authorization decisions.
Why It Matters
“This transformative relationship brings together the provider, the payer, and the patient in new ways so they’re all working from the same playbook,” said Alan Hutchison, Vice President of Population Health at Epic. “The relationship is also about aligning information to reduce the administrative burden on providers and improve quality and transparency for patients.”