What You Should Know:
– Nuance announced that it’s planning to sell two sections of its healthcare business – Health Information Management (HIM) and Electronic Health Record (EHR) Go-Live Services to a new independent company, called DeliverHealth, in early 2021.
– Nuance will be a minority shareholder of DeliverHealth and continue to provide its technology to the company.
Nuance Communications, Inc., today announced the planned sale of the Health Information Management (HIM) Transcription business and the Electronic Health Record (EHR) Go-Live Services business to a new independent company, DeliverHealth Solutions LLC (DeliverHealth), formed by Assured Healthcare Partners® (AHP®) in partnership with Aeries Technology Group (Aeries).
The HIM Transcription business includes both Nuance Transcription Services (NTS) and the eScription technology platform. The transaction is expected to be completed in early 2021. As part of the self-off, Nuance will be a minority shareholder of DeliverHealth and will continue to provide its technology to the company. DeliverHealth plans to build on HIM, transcription, technology and EHR services already in place while expanding into intelligent, technology-enabled revenue cycle automation and clinical documentation improvement services within the EHR’s workflow in 2021. DeliverHealth will include both Nuance Transcription Services (NTS) and the eScription technology platform. Financial details of the transaction were not disclosed.
Sell-Off Accelerate Growth as Conversational AI Market Leader
The sale demonstrates Nuance’s continuing execution to focus R&D investments in the healthcare and enterprise markets – where the company has substantial competitive advantages and opportunities for growth and value creation. In 2019, for example, Nuance sold its document imaging business to Kofax and spun-off its automotive business into Cerence, Inc., an independent, publicly-traded company.
Nuance’s goal with the sale is to enable:
– Existing customers with continued service quality, newly expanded offerings, and enhancements from DeliverHealth in close collaboration with Nuance
– Nuance to focus its innovation and market resources as a pure-play conversational AI market leader while providing continuity of EHR Go-Live Services and HIM Transcription businesses to existing and new customers via DeliverHealth
– DeliverHealth to leverage a leading position in healthcare professional and technology-enabled services, expand global market share, advance growth plans for the EHR Go-Live and Optimization Services, and provide enhanced HIM technology and services to a worldwide market in partnership with Nuance
Nuance’s growth and market leadership in healthcare are driven by the accelerating adoption and development of its core cloud-based AI solutions, including the Nuance® Dragon® Ambient eXperience™ (Nuance DAX™) ambient clinical intelligence (ACI) solution, Nuance Dragon Medical One, Nuance CDE One, and its array of diagnostic imaging solutions such as PowerScribe One™ and PowerShare™.
“The dramatic acceleration in the digital transformation of healthcare continues as organizations deploy the power of conversational AI and deeply integrated cloud-based solutions at scale to address physician burnout, expand patient access, and improve system efficiencies and the revenue cycle,” said Mark Benjamin, CEO of Nuance. “With this strategic transaction, we’re aligning our resources to increase our market and technical leadership position in high-growth, high-impact areas that help our customers in a transformative way to improve patient care and operational performance. At the same time, we’re enabling the medical transcription and EHR Go-Live Services businesses to reach their full potential as a separate, focused company benefiting from the enhanced investment and operational experience of AHP and Aeries and technology support from Nuance.”