What You Should Know:
- Today, Epic, Microsoft, and Nuance announced an expansion of their strategic initiative to bring generative AI to healthcare at scale, integrating conversational, ambient, and generative AI technologies across the Epic EHR ecosystem.
- This initiative will expand secure access to AI-powered clinical insights and administrative tools within a wide range of Epic modules to enhance patient care, increase operational efficiency, improve healthcare experiences, and support the financial integrity of health systems globally.
Expanding AI-Powered Clinical Insights
Epic and Microsoft’s expanded collaboration will build upon our recently announced integrations, including Azure OpenAI Service into Epic’s EHR to automatically draft message responses, as well as a solution that will bring natural language queries and interactive data analysis to SlicerDicer, Epic’s self-service reporting tool. Microsoft and Nuance also recently collaborated to integrate Nuance® Dragon® Ambient eXperience™ Express (DAX Express™) solution into the Epic platform with a comprehensive approach to incorporating a broader array of AI-powered capabilities for clinical and administrative users.
Epic UGM Meeting Showcase
Epic is showcasing many of these new capabilities that build on MS Azure OpenAI Service and Nuance DAX Express solutions at its annual Users Group Meeting today, including:
- Enhancing clinician productivity with note summarization: Building on the previously announced AI-assisted Epic In Basket, the new solutions are targeted at increasing clinical efficiency for physicians and nurses, helping them become more productive in their daily clinical workflow. The solutions will help support faster documentation through suggested text and rapid review with in-context summaries.
- Enhancing clinician productivity with embedded ambient clinical documentation: Leveraging Nuance’s Dragon Ambient eXperience (DAX) technology, which is already deployed with hundreds of Epic customers and currently supporting thousands of physicians, Epic will showcase this DAX Express AI technology embedded into the native Epic Hyperdrive platform and Haiku mobile application, further enhancing a seamless workflow experience for users. In addition, Nuance has been named by Epic as one of the first Partners in Epic’s Partner and Pals third-party vendor program.
- Driving administrative efficiencies through reduction in manual, labor intensive processes: Revenue cycle management is one of many areas where generative AI can meaningfully improve efficiency. For example, Epic will demonstrate an AI-powered solution that provides medical coding staff with suggestions based on clinical documentation in the EHR to improve accuracy and streamline the entire coding and billing processes.
- Advancing medicine for better patient outcomes: By using Azure OpenAI Service, Epic is now delivering generative AI exploration for an initial set of users via SlicerDicer to fill gaps in clinical evidence using real-world data and to study rare diseases and more.