What You Should Know:
– Johnson & Johnson Innovation announces three strategic collaborations with a focus on advancing healthcare solutions in China.
– The three strategic collaborations are focused on leveraging advances in science and technology to address areas of high unmet medical need across several areas, including discovery science, lung cancer, and medical devices
Johnson & Johnson Innovation, a division of Johnson & Johnson (China) Investment Limited, today announced three new collaborations with strategic partners in China. These latest collaborations, facilitated by the Johnson & Johnson Asia Pacific Innovation Center, showcase its broad innovation efforts and focus on leveraging advances in science and technology to address areas of high unmet medical need across several areas, including discovery science, lung cancer, and medical devices.
The collaborations are as follows:
1. Leveraging AI in drug discovery – Janssen Pharmaceutica NV, one of the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, has established a multi-target drug discovery collaboration with Insilico Medicine Hong Kong Ltd., a Johnson & Johnson Innovation – JLABS @ Shanghai resident company specializing in AI-based drug discovery.
The agreement will leverage Insilico Medicine’s AI-based platform to design small-molecule hits with the defined properties for several targets nominated by Janssen. The collaboration aims to generate novel and fully patentable chemical scaffolds for difficult targets using AI-based drug designing, potentially leading to significant reductions in time and cost in identifying biologically active hits against selected targets.
2. Developing AI solutions for lung cancer detection – The Lung Cancer Initiative at Johnson & Johnson in China, through its affiliate Johnson & Johnson (China) Investment Limited, has entered into a research collaboration with Diannei (Shanghai) Biotechnology Co. Ltd., a Chinese company specializing in AI solutions for lung cancer management. The agreement will see both parties work together to develop computer vision AI for lung cancer diagnosis. Diannei’s expertise is in developing AI solutions with deep learning for medical image analysis.
3. Innovative healthcare solutions for sports injury – Johnson & Johnson Medical (Shanghai) Limited (JJMS) announced an agreement with Taikang Online Insurance Co. Ltd. (Tk.cn), a Chinese online healthcare insurance company, to develop an innovative sports injury-related insurance package. JJMS will support Tk.cn by offering its industrial insights, while Tk.cn designs reimbursement coverage to sports enthusiasts which aim to enable timely diagnosis and appropriate surgical treatment for patients.
Why It Matters
“Johnson & Johnson has deep roots in China for the past 35 years to address the growing needs of patients and consumers. We are delighted to mark the third annual CIIE, a significant platform that supports the expansion, innovation and internationalization of the Chinese business environment, by announcing these new collaboration agreements,” said Will Song, Global Senior Vice President, China Chairman, Johnson & Johnson*. “These agreements span a diverse range of focus areas and represent a valuable opportunity to advance human health for the country by connecting global and local innovators with the expertise of the Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies to help transform great ideas into breakthrough solutions.”