What You Should Know:
– Cone Health, a non-profit healthcare network in North Carolina, and Helix, a population genomics company, have partnered to launch a five-year research study that will enroll and track 100,000 healthy people.
– The study will use Helix’s population genomics platform to provide medical insights for Cone Health patients and help identify people at risk for certain diseases and conditions.
Study Enrollment & Benefits
Enrollment in the program is optional and at no cost. Participants will be screened for genetic predisposition for certain diseases and conditions, such as breast and ovarian cancer, colorectal cancer, and high cholesterol.
Key benefits of the program include:
– Better, more effective care: The study is expected to result in better, more effective care for people who develop health conditions.
– Potentially delay, reduce or even prevent illness: Participants will receive information that they and their providers can use to potentially delay, reduce or even prevent illness.
– Uncover what risks might be occurring at disproportionate levels within communities: The program will help Cone Health uncover what risks might be occurring at disproportionate levels within communities.
– Better understand the health of the overall population: The program will help Cone Health better understand the health of the overall population.
– Build wellness programs for the broader community: The program will help Cone Health build wellness programs for the broader community.
Sequence Once, Query Often
Helix’s unique Sequence Once, Query Often™ model will allow individual patients to have future genetic tests run without the need for an additional sample. This will give them, and their providers, access to ongoing genomic insights about their health throughout their lifetime.