What You Should Know:
– Amwell®, a telehealth leader, today announced that it has signed definitive agreements to acquire SilverCloud Health, a leading digital mental health platform, and Conversa Health, a leader in automated virtual healthcare.
– The deals have a combined aggregate purchase price of $320 million, and the acquisitions will allow Amwell to accelerate its work to redefine the practice of medicine and always-on healthcare companionship.
– By adding the technology of these two companies to its virtual care platform, Amwell is greatly enhancing the differentiated value it can bring to current and future clients. Each company brings unique, proven capabilities that will position Amwell to materially advance the reach and impact of care teams on patients’ lives through the use of interactive tools that strengthen the cohesion between physical and virtual care.
SilverCloud Health Background
SilverCloud Health delivers a range of digital cognitive behavioral health programs that are evidence-based and clinically validated. These programs have shown results equivalent to face-to-face care for the 1 in 5 people with a diagnosable mental health condition and have helped over 65% of patient, member, and employee users to experience significant decreases in depression and anxiety symptoms. Used globally by more than 300 organizations including Kaiser-Permanente, Optum, Providence Health and over 80 percent of the U.K.’s National Health Service mental health services, Amwell will leverage SilverCloud Health’s award-winning platform and more than 17 years of clinical research to enrich its own behavioral health offerings, as well as to develop new digital specialty care programs.
Conversa Health Background
Conversa Health helps leading healthcare organizations including Northwell Health, UCSF Health, UNC Health, University Hospitals and Prisma Health to remotely manage and engage patients by delivering configurable, automated text-based conversations to support a wide range of clinical needs – from pre-admission patient education and preparedness to post-acute monitoring, to chronic care management and more. The core technology of Conversa Health extends health system care teams by using automated patient interactions to ensure patients stay on track before and after live or virtual visits.
Amwell will leverage Conversa Health’s proprietary patient profiling and health signals engine and library of evidence-based digital pathways to advance initiatives aimed at longitudinal care, clinical quality, and population health. Using automated patient outreach and engagement tools alongside care management teams, Amwell clients will benefit from improved care coordination, cost management, patient experience and outcomes.
Acquisition Impact for Amwell
In addition to the above, the Conversa Health and SilverCloud Health acquisitions will help Amwell realize value in a number of key ways:
– Advanced Platform Offerings: The combined company will seek to pioneer new digital care workflows and programs to improve patient engagement and care team reach, as well as to advance care delivery outcomes. Initial efforts will focus on virtual care automation and patient companionship to advance longitudinal care, behavioral health, and other specialty and chronic care segments.
– Accelerated Growth Opportunity in New Markets: Amwell will expand its current client base to include hospital, health system, health plan and employer clients of Conversa Health and SilverCloud Health. The geographical footprint of SilverCloud Health will also help Amwell to accelerate its global growth plans, specifically within the United Kingdom and Ireland.
“We believe that future care delivery will inevitably blend in-person, virtual and digital care experiences; and as such, we are uniquely building a global platform to support such advanced, coordinated care,” said Ido Schoenberg, Chairman and Co-CEO, Amwell. “By integrating SilverCloud Health and Conversa Health into our platform we are demonstrating Amwell’s fundamental and repeatable design to continually scale digital healthcare services across the different sites of care. These acquisitions will amplify the presence and reach of care teams and reaffirm that as the needs of the healthcare marketplace evolve, so too will the Amwell platform.”