What You Should Know:
– Akron-based Summa Health and General Catalyst’s Health Assurance Transformation Corporation (HATCo) have announced a planned acquisition that promises to reshape healthcare delivery in the region.
– This strategic acquisition marks the beginning of a long-term journey to create a more proactive, affordable, and equitable healthcare system for the Greater Akron community.
A Vision for a Healthier Future
Summa Health, a large, integrated healthcare system, and HATCo, a venture capital firm dedicated to transforming healthcare, share a bold vision: to shift from a “sick care” system to a model focused on health assurance. This means proactively addressing social determinants of health, promoting wellness, and bending the cost curve through innovation.
Uniting Strengths for Greater Impact
HATCo’s investment will empower Summa Health to:
- Expand access to affordable, quality care: Increased local investment will allow Summa Health to reach underserved communities and provide more comprehensive services.
- Enhance patient and provider experience: By leveraging technology and innovative models, Summa Health will improve patient outcomes and create a more fulfilling work environment for healthcare professionals.
- Strengthen medical education and training: The partnership will further Summa Health’s commitment to training future generations of healthcare providers.
- Promote health equity and population health: A community foundation will be established to address social determinants of health and improve overall community well-being.
A Shift to Value-Based Care
This partnership signifies a commitment to transitioning to a value-based care model, where healthcare providers are rewarded for keeping patients healthy, not just treating them when they’re sick. This shift will incentivize preventative care, chronic disease management, and population health initiatives.
“Our shared vision is to create a replicable healthcare model that marks a true and meaningful shift from a ‘sick care’ system to a resilient, proactive model of health assurance,” said Hemant Taneja, CEO of General Catalyst, and founder and chairman of HATCo. “By doing so, we will help people stay well, bend the cost curve through innovation and make quality care more affordable and accessible. I couldn’t be more excited to collaborate and execute on that vision with Summa Health and HATCo. We aim to improve the health and wellbeing of the greater Akron community, create a standard for the health system of the future, and inspire communities across America to adopt this vision.”