What You Should Know:
– IBM and Meta announced the launch of the AI Alliance, a newly formed group of leading organizations dedicated to fostering open innovation and open science in artificial intelligence with Cleveland Clinic as one of the over 50 Founding Members and Collaborators.
– Cleveland Clinic joins IBM, Meta, and other leading organizations in the Alliance’s mission to advance responsible AI development and ensure that the benefits of AI are accessible to all.
Addressing AI Challenges & Promote Open Innovation
4 AI Focus Areas
The AI Alliance members intend to start or enhance projects aligned with its mission to accelerate open innovation across the AI technology landscape based on four key focus areas:
- Responsible, Scalable AI: AI Alliance members will deploy benchmarks, tools, and other resources that enable the responsible development and use of AI systems at global scale, including the creation of a catalog of vetted safety, security and trust tools. This work will include supporting the advocacy and enablement of these tools with the developer community for model and application development.
- Open Foundation Models: The AI Alliance will focus on responsibly advancing the ecosystem of open foundation models with diverse modalities, including highly capable multilingual, multi-modal, and science models that can help address society-wide challenges in climate, education, and beyond.
- Diversified AI Hardware: AI Alliance members will collaborate on the benchmarking, optimization, and adaptation of AI workloads to advance a diverse set of hardware. This work will focus on scalability, platform adaptation, and advanced power, energy, and carbon modeling.
- Skills, Education and Research: To help close the AI skill gap, AI Alliance members will engage the academic community to enable researchers and students to learn and contribute to essential AI model and tool research projects including AI algorithms, models, platforms, and new techniques for power and resource efficient AI.
A Broad Spectrum of Partners
The AI Alliance is a diverse group of organizations, including:
– Technology companies: IBM, Meta, AMD, Intel, and others
– Universities and research institutions: Cornell University, Dartmouth, ETH Zurich, and others
– Open-source software organizations: Hugging Face, LangChain, LlamaIndex, and others
– Government agencies: Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR), National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), and others
Cleveland Clinic’s Commitment to AI Innovation
Cleveland Clinic is a world leader in healthcare, and the organization has been at the forefront of AI innovation. Cleveland Clinic has developed and deployed AI-powered tools and technologies to improve patient care, advance research, and enhance operational efficiency.
“We are excited to join the AI Alliance and collaborate with other leading organizations to advance AI innovation in a responsible and inclusive manner,” said Dr. Tomislav Mihaljevic, Chief Analytics Officer at Cleveland Clinic. “AI has the potential to revolutionize healthcare, and we believe that open collaboration is essential to realizing this potential.”
The AI Alliance will begin its work by forming member-driven working groups across all major topical areas. The Alliance will also establish a governing board and technical oversight committee to oversee the project. The Alliance will partner with existing initiatives from governments, non-profit, and civil society organizations that are doing valuable work in the AI space.