What You Should Know:
– Blue Shield of California has expanded its partnership with Virta Health to help reverse the human and financial impact of type 2 diabetes in the state.
– The partnership marks Blue Shield as the first health plan in California to implement a digital diabetes reversal solution across multiple lines of business.
Blue Shield is first health plan in California to implement digital diabetes reversal solution across multiple lines of business.
As part of Blue Shield’s provider network, Virta will serve as just one arm of a member’s care team. Eligible Blue Shield members can choose both a traditional provider and Virta, which will work alongside traditional providers as a virtual diabetes specialist. In-network physicians can also refer their patients to Virta. To enroll in Virta, eligible members simply go to the Virta landing page on Blue Shield’s website and sign up.
Virta Health on Wellvolution Overview
Virta uses advanced telehealth technology and clinically proven personalized nutrition to help patients reverse type 2 diabetes and other chronic metabolic diseases. BSC members who have been using Virta on Wellvolution after one year saw
– an average 7% weight loss (5% is considered clinically significant) after one year
– have eliminated more than half of their diabetes medications (not including metformin)
– estimated A1c improved by 1.1% on average. Every-one point decrease in A1c reduces risk of long-term diabetes complications – such as eye, kidney, and nerve damage – by up to 40%.