AARP and StartUp Health have teamed up to release the first ever digital health funding insights report evaluating the 50+ market. The in-depth report highlights the rise of innovation among the growing 50+ population demanding increased medical needs. The effort is part of the AARP Innovation@50+™ initiative, which aims to spark innovation and entrepreneurial activity and increase awareness across public and private sectors that addresses the needs and wants of people 50 and over.
The insights from the report confirm that total annual funding of companies across all stages of growth in the 50+ market more than doubled from $413 Million in 2010 to $928 Million in 2013.
Report highlights include:
● The total Digital Health and Wellness industry has rapidly expanded from $958 Million in 2010 to $2.3 Billion end-Q3 2013, with a 4X increase in deal count,
● Annual total funding in the 50+ digital health and wellness space has kept pace with growth in the overall market, accounting for a consistent 40 percent-plus of funding and deals between 2010 and 2013,
● Funding in the 50+ digital Health and Wellness rose from $413 Million in 2010 to $928 Million in 2013,
● Early-stage deals have driven the investment growth trends in the 50+ segment with 6X growth in the last three years,
● The category experiencing the greatest number of deals and investment is Navigating the Healthcare System, with 78 deals and $384 Million in funding between 2010 and 2013.