Nike targets quantified self movement with digital health accelerator powered by Techstars to support the new wave of digital health fitness startups
Given the growing momentum of the quantified self self fitness movement of health tracking devices and software, Nike is launching the Nike + Accelerator program — a three-month program to foster startups — in conjunction with Boulder, Colo.-based TechStars. The focus of the program is to allow companies to leverage the Nike+ platform, and NikeFuel, to build offerings that inspire and assist people to live more active, healthy lifestyles. The Nike+ platform gives selected partners access to the activity data captured by the Nike+ FuelBand and Nike+ Running devices used by millions of Nike+ users.
10 partner companies will be chosen and given the following tools and support they need to succeed:
- Access to the Nike+ APIs, Nike+ mobile SDKs, and Nike+ FuelBand Dev Kit (Beta) – you will be among the first in the world to receive this access
- A Nike+ FuelBand for each team member
- Tech support from experienced developers who’ve built companies, or built with Nike+ Application Programming Interfaces (APIs)
- Code and solution reviews during the program
- Mentor sessions with Nike executives and leaders in the start-up community
- Two Investor Demo Days: one at the Nike World Headquarters and one in Silicon Valley
According to early results from a Pew Internet & American Life Project study, 7 in 10 Americans could be considered self-trackers. Nike’s commitment to the growing digital health fitness community will encourage more innovation developing digital fitness startups and build upon the success of NikeFuel, the Nike+ FuelBand, and Nike+ Running to make the world more active.
Anyone with an idea that uses Nike+ technology and data to help people be more active can apply to the accelerator. For more information and to apply, visit the Nike + accelerator.