In this Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) video, Ricardo Martinez, MD, FACEP, a practicing physician offers advice for small practices preparing for ICD-10. In the video, Dr. Martinez explains how to transition to ICD-10 in five steps:
1. Make a Plan—Look at the codes you use today and prepare your staff
2. Train Your Staff—Identify resources to help your staff get ready for the transition
3. Update Your Processes—Review your policies, procedures, forms, and templates
4. Talk to Your Vendors and Payers—Talk to your software vendors, clearinghouses, and billing services
5. Test Your Systems and Processes—Test within your practice and with your vendors and payers
NOTE: Health care professionals can earn continuing medical education (CME) credits or nursing continuing education (CE) credits for viewing the video and completing a post-test. To receive credit, visithttp://www.cms.gov/ICD10 and complete the module post-tests by following the links to Medscape.com.