BetterDoctor, a company focusing on simplifying doctor discovery and booking has announced today that its mobile health app is the first to integrate Medicare’s provider and payment data. The Medicare procedure and pricing data integration will help consumers make more informed decisions by providing a view to the most common procedures by over 800,000 providers that received payments in 2012 from Medicare Part B, which covers doctor visits, tests and other treatments. An example of what the data looks like is shown below:
Key features of this data integration include:
- Search Medicare Procedure and Pricing Data at the Doctor Level. For the first time, it’s now possible to view the procedures that individual doctors conducted in 2012 based on their Medicare claims. For example, if you are looking for an orthopedist for a knee replacement, you feel more confident in selecting Dr. Michael Parks who conducted 77 knee replacements in 2012, as opposed to someone that did only a few similar operations.
- View Medicare’s Doctor to Doctor Referral Data. By exposing the doctor-to-doctor referral patterns, people searching for new doctors are empowered to choose doctors that other doctors find the most trustworthy.For example, wouldn’t you be confident choosing a cardiologist like Dr. Adam Skolnick who is recommended by over 100 other doctors?
Additionally, their new iPhone app puts 1 million doctors in your pocket, and offers a simple way to find the right doctor near you including:
– Comprehensive nationwide doctor database of 1M doctors and dentists
– Save your favorite doctors and dentists
– Proprietary rating algorithm based on experience, qualifications and peer recommendations
– Simple filtering tools to find a well rated doctor who accept your insurance plan
– Universal search that let’s you find doctors based on name, condition, location and more
– Huge design improvement to make the experience seamless and simple
After years of health struggles in his family, CEO and co-founder Ari Tulla started the company in 2011 to help himself and millions of others in finding the right doctor. Since launching eighteen months ago, 10 million people have used BetterDoctor’s web and mobile apps to find a doctor, and 12,000 physicians across 60 specialties have now signed up to access its “doctor dashboard.” “We have worked tirelessly for three years to expose this data and give patients the transparency they deserve,” said CEO and co-founder Ari Tulla
The company generates revenue acting as a lead generation service for doctors and their practices utilizing BetterDoctor’s search engine. Last fall, the BetterDoctor raised $2.6 million in funding from Jeff Clavier at SoftTechVC, 500 Startups, Burrill & Co to fund their growth.