Security breaches cost healthcare organizations $2.4M over 2 years as the healthcare sector is among the most vulnerable to hacking and cyberattacks.
Healthcare’s slow response to technology advancement has made the industry a prime target for data breaches and cyberattacks. Aging technology combined with software and security flaws has resulted in 94% of healthcare organizations having at least one data breach in the past two years.
According to the infographic shown below created by Backgroundcheck.org, 2,769 records are lost or stolen per breach. The findings included in the infographic are based on the Third Annual Benchmark Study on Patient Privacy & Data Security from Ponemon Institute.
Some of the recent healthcare organizations with security breaches this year include:
- University of Connecticut Health Center
- Northwest Georgia Hospice Group
- Froedtert Health in Milwaukee, WI
- Samaritan Hospital in eastern New York
- Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital
- Lawrence Melrose Medical Electronic Record Inc., in Melrose, Mass