HIMSS has acquired the conference component of Health 2.0 to expand its global educational offerings to familiar and new audiences, effective immediately. Financial details of the acquisition were not disclosed.
Since its first conference in 2007, Health 2.0 2007 and now hosts three annual conferences in the US, with others in Europe and Asia. To date, Health 2.0 has welcomed more than 25,000 conference attendees worldwide, hosted over 4,000 demos, and introduced hundreds of new companies to the health technology industry.
Here are six things to know about the Health 2.0 conferences acquisition:
1. As part of the acquisition, HIMSS will establish a new Health 2.0 business unit within the enterprise that includes HIMSS North America, HIMSS Analytics, HIMSS Media, HIMSS Europe, HIMSS AsiaPacific and the Personal Connected Health Alliance.
2. Matthew Holt, co-chairman of Health 2.0, will continue to co-host Health 2.0’s Annual Fall and Wintertech conferences and host Health 2.0’s international conferences.
3. Indu Subaiya, MD, MBA, CEO and co-chairman, Health 2.0, will join HIMSS as executive vice president for the newly established Health 2.0 business unit and continue to co-host Health 2.0’s Annual Fall and Wintertech conferences.
4. Health 2.0 will continue to independently operate its Catalyst@Health 2.0 division, which conducts innovations programs, such as codeathons, developer challenges and pilot programs for clients, such as government agencies, pharmaceutical companies, hospitals and health insurers, leveraging the market research powered by Health 2.0 Source Database.
5. H. Stephen Lieber, CAE, HIMSS president/CEO stressed that HIMSS has no plans of changing the type or scope of the conferences presented in the past by Health 2.0. Instead, this expansion provides an opportunity for HIMSS to expand its own educational offerings with a stronger focus on digital health startups.
6. In next nine months, seven Health 2.0 conferences will be held from May – December 2017, and a January 2018 conference.
Health 2.0 Europe 2017
HXR – HxRefactored 2017
Health 2.0 11th Annual Fall Conference
Santa Clara, Calif.
Tech for Precision Health
San Francisco, Calif.
Health 2.0 India 2017
Health 2.0 Japan 2017
Health 2.0 Wintertech
San Francisco, Calif.
In an email statement releases this morning, Matthew Holt, co-chairman of Health 2.0, said, “Health 2.0 and HIMSS share a single mission, to improve health outcomes by leveraging the best that technology has to offer. While terms change through the years, that common end goal hasn’t and won’t moving forward.
Our integration with HIMSS is a transformative opportunity to bring the knowledge and expertise from Health 2.0’s global network of entrepreneurs, developers and end-users together with that of clinicians, IT professionals, health care executives, policy leaders and other stakeholders to make a sustainable difference.
We are at a critical inflection point in the evolution of the health technology industry. Exciting advances in data science and AI, precision medicine and genomics, sensors and hardware to name just a few, coupled with the increased rate of adoption of digital health technologies by health care providers, payers, life science companies and communities require a level of collaboration like never before.
And yet, start-ups face barriers to access and distribution while large organizations face challenges in vetting and selecting new technology partners. Working with HIMSS, we will be able to create even more vibrant formats for interaction and more efficient mechanisms for innovation to spread throughout the healthcare system.”