Telhealth video visits will increase from 19.7 million in 2014 to 158.4 million per year by 2020, according to a new report from Tractica. The report, “Telehealth Video Consultations“, examines the telehealth market and technology issues surrounding telehealth video visits for both clinical and non-clinical applications. The firm also predicts that, while clinical consultations currently constitute more than three-quarters of the market, growth over the next several years will be especially strong in non-clinical settings. Tractica forecasts that non-clinical video consultations will outnumber clinical consultations by 2019.
Technology Enablers for Growth
– better video conferencing technologies
– increased penetration of connected devices
– broadband adoption
Market Enablers for Growth
Simultaneously, several market factors are making the use of telehealth video visits more valuable for patients including:
– physician shortages
– rising healthcare costs
– the need to serve aging populations
– increased number of people living with chronic diseases
– providers and payers alike are finding quantifiable value in deploying video-based patient monitoring solutions
Despite the benefits, the lack of reimbursement for these services remains the ultimate barrier to wide spread adoption of telehealth video visits/services. Additionally, the services continues to face resistance by by physicians, patients, and regulatory bodies.